Monday, January 8, 2018

Confidence in 2018

I read lots of plans and goals from my fellow writers last week. I'm cheering for all of you to reach them and maybe even accomplish more. Writers work in isolation, and that allows lots of doubts to creep in and join us at our keyboards.

When we're all alone, we tend to compare ourselves to the big industry success stories. We see those same authors with their big hardback releases month after month. Stephen King, Brandon Sanderson, and many others. And we don't see all the hard work that is behind their success because they're working in isolation also.

Even when we have success, a bestseller or a short story published, another rejection will sooner rather than later will appear in our inbox. Sharing those setbacks with other writers who all have similar experiences, helps us keep going.

Sometimes we get so down on ourselves that we can't even accept praise or good reviews. All that self-doubt gets in the way of our work. The discouragement slows us down. So accept that you know something about writing and the business connected to it. And don't be afraid to ask and share with other writers.

And that's all I have to say about getting your butt in gear and 2018 and set that keyboard on fire.

Bad news about 2018. Officially no new Stranger Things or Game of Thrones. My other most favorite show, The 100, isn't coming back on until April. The Good Doctor is back on tonight, but though I like that show,  I don't mind if I miss it. Nothing to get excited on TV for months to come.

Shut the door not that it lets in the cold but that it lets out the coziness. Mark Twain

Other good news. the vicious cold weather has finally given us a slight break. Anything that gets out of the single digits is good. Also, this Wednesday, library reading group for my granddaughter starts up again.

"One kind word can warm three winter months." — Japanese proverb

My most recent dystopian romance is now for sale on Amazon. The Horse Tamer's Fiery Lady, Book #2 in Survivors of the Apocalypse, is now available on Amazon. Sometimes you write a book and just know it's one of your best. This is that book.

What is keeping you motivated this year? Ever feel like everyone else is having success and you're getting nothing but rejections? Have you been stuck in this deep freeze? Does TV  offerings stink right now.




18 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah, TV is in the crapper right now. Can't compare to the big wigs, as they have the dough to hire ghostwriters too lol so they can pump them out with ease. Always grand when one realizes that their book is one of their best.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad the book has hit Amazon now! I know what you mean by knowing a book is your best.
The X-Files started back up last week, but it was a little confusing and disappointing.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm hoping some of our snow melts today.

It can be discouraging seeing those best sellers over and over again. We have to remember only part of that is actual popularity. The rest is paid advertising.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, there is a lot of self-doubt and rejection with writing. I'm going to try to focus on my goals and just writing this year--what I can control. Just started Stranger Things on Netflix. I'm so far behind that I have lots to watch still.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Excellent about your book, Susan!

I'm watching some old shows on Netflix, but I'm also enjoying some new episodes/seasons, like Top Chef and The Amazing Race. Also, The Middle - it's the last season, and I'm going to miss it.

Laura Clipson said...

I'm really going to miss both Stranger Things and Game of Thrones this year. Hopefully something else will come along to keep us entertained until next year!

messymimi said...

Writing is such hard work that i have nothing but admiration for those who can. Congratulations on your latest!

cleemckenzie said...

I've often thought I could have much higher self-esteem if only I'd taken up coal mining.

J E Oneil said...

I'm stuck in the deep freeze. Snow everywhere. Most unpleasant. I've also been watching a lot of independent shows online. Some of them have new content all year round, so at least that's one good thing.

Tammy Theriault said...

That cover...
And you're right...get said butt in gear!!

nashvillecats2 said...

That's what I am aiming for, sure there will be bad days but overall confidence is a must if you want to achieve your goals.

Yvonne.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Some of my favorite TV series have ended forever or are ending soon (Longmire, Nashville), so instead of looking for new shows to watch, I plan to use that time for reading. I do love a good dystopian novel! :D

SpacerGuy said...

Funny how times change. Alistair MaClean sold books in the millions and some of his stories made it into popular films but all without the help of Amazon.

Christine Rains said...

Congrats on the new release! I do sometimes compare myself, but I'm getting better at telling myself it isn't realistic to do so. I've been watching The X-Files and Happy. The Magicians start up tonight and Felicia Day will be on this season. Supernatural will be back next week, but I'm not so eager about this season. My husband and I have been watching a lot Drunk History! *LOL*

H. R. Sinclair said...

Congrats on the release and best of luck in the new year.

Loucas said...

Congrats on the new release! That's what I am aiming for, sure there will be bad days but overall confidence is a must if you want to achieve your goals. Des opérations de chirurgie esthétique, médecine esthétique et chirurgie bariatrique sont permises en Tunisie à des prix imbattables en Tunisie. Visitez le meilleur site de la liposuccion en Tunisie liposuccion Tunisie

Crystal Collier said...

Yay for the awesome book!! I think 2018 will be epic all on it's own, but I'm trying to enjoy every moment of it. I spent the morning cuddling with my baby girl, because let's face it, how long/often do you get to cuddle with a baby? They grow up way too fast.

And because of that, I'm basically on sabbatical as far as writing goes. That raises all kinds of insecurities, but I'm fighting them down and enjoying this "moment" of life. Here's to an excellent 2018!

Anonymous said...

Agence web Tunisie
Marbre mosaïque
Volet roulant Paris
Prix Remorquage poids lourd
Prix location Nacelle Paris
Architecte