Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Things to Celebrate

Did you know what yesterday was? What an amazing historical event transpired? I wasn't there when it happened and only learned about it later when I saw it on an old VHS tape.  Thirty-one years ago was released. It was filmed in Astoria, Oregon where they have a yearly celebration. The Goonies is a movie that holds up well over the years and has gained new fans from each generation since it was made.
The Goonies

"Goonies never say die."
"Hey, you guuuys!"

What am I reading? Busy indulging in Tuck Watley: Freedom Fighter Fighter by Brandon Meyers and Bryan Pedas. I almost forgot to write this post. Review coming soon. It will be difficult to write one without spoilers. My husband was asking me all evening what I'm laughing at because I almost never laugh out loud when reading.

What am I watching? Game of Thrones every Sunday night. This Saturday, Hell on Wheels starts its final run. I've really enjoyed that series though it can be painful to watch. Person of Interest is almost over also. Only two episodes left. I hope some of the main characters live at the end but I'm not hopeful. A few more shows are coming back over the summer but none that I'm terribly excited to see.

Ankle and ribs are doing better but still a long way from 100%. It has slowed me down with my outside chores but I'm getting a little done at a time.

My sister from Mississippi is visiting at the end of next week. Fun times expected. An anniversary for my husband and I. We'll be celebrating 34 years. Whew, where did that go? What is the secret for a long and happy marriage? Pick the right partner for starts, someone you like as well as love. And practice forgiveness. No one is perfect. Be kind, patient and supportive. My guy is all that. He does think he's the model for all my romance novels, and I'll never tell him different.

I have my daughter for two more weeks before she leaves for Morocco. We have so many things to do between now and then.

The WIP is still going slow. Not enough coffee, I think. My publisher isn't bugging me about it. Yet.

What are you watching this summer? What are your reading this week? Are you a Goonie fan? Anything to add to my recipe for a long, happy marriage?

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on thirty-four years. That is how you do it. Need to be friends as well as lovers.
I never did get the Goonies. I was in college at the time, so maybe it was just my age.
Really want to dive into Brandon and Bryan's books, but I have two others to finish.

Jo said...

I'm the same about Brandon and Bryan's book, I too have a couple of others to finish. Glad you are enjoying it. 34 years is a good long time these days when so many get divorced after a short marriage. Know nothing about The Goonies.

Maria Zannini said...

Where does the time go?! Happy Anniversary!

I'd add that a married couple should see themselves as a team. No matter what life throws at you, you work it out together.

Also a sense of humor. You have to laugh especially when life throws you lemons.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love The Goonies! Now I have the Cyndi Lauper song from the movie in my head....

Congratulations on 34 years! We just celebrated our 17th, and I totally agree with you about being with someone you like as well as love. My husband and I are best friends.

I've got a handful of requested books almost ready to be picked up from the library. Can't wait!

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Sounds like things are moving along well, Susan. Any forward progress is always good, I think. Enjoy your daughter and your sister while they are with you. Congratulations on your anniversary. I agree with your tips for a long marriage. My husband and I just celebrated 35 years of marriage. The only thing I'd add to your marriage tips is to keep couple time important.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - I'm glad the ankle and leg are progressing - even slowly. So glad your daughter is spending time at home and enjoying those comforts before more fascinating times in Morocco - a place I really should visit. Then family time with your sister and finally you and hubby's 34th - many many congratulations ... and just enjoy all those days and times ... cheers Hilary

Pat Hatt said...

Happy anniversary. Never knew Goonies was that old. Still holds up well indeed. Game of thrones, poi and wayward pines are all I'm watching at the moment. Got their book ready to go too.

betty said...

Happy anniversary! An accomplishment indeed! I recently told son/daughter in law when talking about marriage that hubby and me stated early in the game "divorce is not an option" so when we were at each other's throats on this and that, we worked it out, painfully, slowly at times, but committed to the relationship to endure and thrive and succeed and last. (Now I realize there are those times when divorce is the only option, but in our case for the majority of our conflicts we just needed to continue to work on them and resolve them or come to terms with them).

I can't believe 31 years for the Goonies! Time flies!

My husband is into Person of Interest. Due to an unexpected errand we needed to run last night, he missed the last 5 minutes of the show; he'll have to see if anything earth shattering happened in that time.

betty

nashvillecats2 said...

Wonderful post to read Susan, hope your sister enjoys her visit.
Yvonne.

Christine Rains said...

Happy anniversary! And yay for The Goonies. It was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I'm enjoying Game of Thrones too.

Unknown said...

congrats on the anniversary. glad you are still on the mend.Goonies is a classic movie

messymimi said...

Sweetie loves the Goonies! Once in a while he pulls out the DVD and watches it again.

Happy Anniversary!

Nicola said...

I love the Goonies! Great story with interesting characters.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm watching America's Got Talent (but I record everything so I can fast forward through the judging and just watch performances), Master Chef, and lots of talk shows on multiple channels because I'm a poli sci and sociology junkie and find the whole presidential campaign hoop-to-do a fascinating study in manipulation and pure baloney (by the media as well as the candidates).

Unknown said...

I absolutely loved THE GOONIES. Haven't seen it in years but now I want to!

@Kathleen01930 Blog

Sherry Ellis said...

Haven't seen The Goonies. Sounds like a great story!

Julie Flanders said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary to you and your husband. How wonderful!

Rachel Pattinson said...

Congrats on your anniversary! I'm getting married in July, and if we stay together as long as you guys have, I'll be happy :). I agree - you definitely need to be best friends as well as lovers. I LOVE the Goonies!! Made before my time, but remember watching it as a kid and loving it!

The Happy Whisk said...

Congrats on 34 years. Wow, that's wonderful. Very, very cool.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Happy 34tj Anniversary! Hope you have a blast with your daughter. Yes, time goes by in a flash. I've tried reining it in to no avail.