Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sisterhood

Much thanks to Melissa Bradley for passing me the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award. It gives me the chance to talk about sisters and I have lots of them to talk about.

I have three older sisters, all nurses, and a younger sister, the only one of us to follow our parent's farming footsteps. I love them all dearly and they're all different.

My oldest sister has always been motherly to us. She had to babysit us sometimes and I admit we gave her a hard time. Going along with her very kind heart, she always putting others before herself. Of course, the kind of nursing she does is in a long-term care facility.

My second oldest sister, the most like me, works as an oncology nurse. It takes a special person, a strong but compassionate person to do what she does. We share a great love of books, the joys of our children and love of sports. She lives in Mississippi so we only see each other once or twice a year. If she lived nearby, we would be hanging out all the time. And she and my husband get along great so the three of us have lots of fun together.

My third to the oldest sister lives in Washington state and works in emergency care. She's a supervisor and I'm sure she allows no messing around on her shift. She might be the only person I know who loves books more than I do. We played tons of softball together growing up and I miss our times together.

My baby sister, the farmer, answered the call of the land. There is no other sister who can make me laugh like she can. We share children of nearly the same age and have gone through those child-bearing years together. She'd chosen a living that requires hard work and I admire her for it.

Blogging friends are like those sisters of mine. They're all a little different but they all have something that cements our friendship even if we only ever meet online. And there's something special and unique about them, be they blogging sisters or brothers. I'm so happy to have met you all. Thanks, Melissa at Melissa's Imaginarium for the award. Instead of passing it on, I hope in the comments, my blogging family can share something about a sibling or a blogging friend who is like a brother or sister.

Care to share a sibling story?

11 comments:

David P. King said...

Cool story! I didn't know a pair of pants was spreading around the Internet. Cool idea, actually. :)

Robin said...

Congratulations on your award. It is funny how close you get to your fellow bloggers, isn't it?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Three sisters in nursing - that's amazing.
I have an older brother that is about as opposite from me as possible. We talk every month, but we really don't have much in common.

Unknown said...

Sisters are so fun. I once had a student that was the youngest of 11 girls. All girls. She said her mom and dad kept trying for a boy. Now that's perseverance that didn't get the anticipated results! Can you imagine that poor dad? Probably not a week that someone wasn't PMSing. ;)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

What a funny story, Julie. My lovely daughter has five big brothers so I guess my husband and I persevered also.
I have two brothers, Alex. One very different from me and one my best friend growing up.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I always wished I had a sister. I think my life would be so different with one in it.

dolorah said...

Both of my sisters seemed so different, but later in life I see how much alike their thinking was.

My poor daughter had to "adopt" her friends as sisters, but she has just as many cool stories, and she never really had to share a room :)

......dhole

mshatch said...

I am fortunate to have six brothers and sisters (three of each) and four of them live within 15 minutes of me. The other two are in Cincinnati. I love having lots of siblings :)

Unknown said...

My sister is an editor, and I'm so proud of her.

Melissa said...

Great post. Agree with you about oncology nurses--very special people.

Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on your award!