Thursday, April 11, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge: J

Over the hump in week two of the 2013 A to Z Blogging Challenge. Some warm weather is finally arriving but I'm might wait until after dark to visit some of these other great blogs found on THE list.

J: Journal. For quite a while I used to carry a spiral journal with me nearly where ever I went. I kept it at my side when I was reading or watching a movie. I would jot down word usages that caught my hear or perhaps interesting names of people and places. Things on the news that seemed like a story waiting to be created. Whenever I watched the history channel or one of the science channels, I would see some things that I thought might add to a story one day.

For whatever reason, I stopped carrying that journal. It's sitting idle on my desk. Look at that retirement countdown on the right hand side of my blog. During my retirement, I'm going to use that journal more often. I going to collect those ideas and words so that I might use them someday.

Do you keep a notebook or journal handy to jot down ideas? Do you sometimes see things on the news or an educational show that gives you ideas?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I tend to keep these sort of ideas in my head. Which of course leads to them being lots frequently!

If I do decide to write something down, I use my ipad. :)

Rinelle Grey

Lynn Proctor said...

oh how i wish i had kept a journal all the years---i know how my dad has cherished the few entries my mom left him :)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I keep notebooks all over the house and even a small one in my bag - although, I sometimes just use my phone to jot a note.

I used to put pressure on myself to remember every little thing and write it all down, but I've eased up a bit and I feel freer - if it's that good an idea, if it's that important, I'll remember it. Hopefully. If not, then it wasn't meant to be. Or so I tell myself. :)

Trisha said...

I have never really been this sort of person, which is a pain sometimes 'cause I miss out on scribbling down important things! At the same time I tend to have horrid amounts of little scraps of paper around that I've jotted something down on. It's not an efficient way to be ;)

I did keep a paper journal in high school, but that was mostly 'cause it was really the only option. If I'd had good internet back then I would probably have been putting journal entries online like I do nowadays!

Unknown said...

I must say I love your blog! I go to it to make my own got-to-do list.

Anonymous said...

I've never kept a journal, but if I get a good enough idea or see something I don't want to forget I make a note in my cellphone. Then I forget about the note until I stumble upon it later.

Grover said...

I don't usually carry it around outside the house, but I do keep a notebook handy at home. I like making videos on YouTube but whenever I sit down and try to think of ideas, they never seem to come. So the notebook's really handy for when inspiration suddenly strikes.
I love your retirement countdown by the way!

Grover
Inane Ramblings

Inger said...

I just read another post about Journals where the author offered all kinds of suggestions for note taking, using modern technology. It was interesting, but made my head spin. Probably because I am old and retired.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I never have but maybe I should.

Spanj said...

I have a journal but I don't always have it on me; hence all the scraps of paper, receipts and napkins I have glued into it!
angelinetrevena.blogspot.co.uk

Kristen said...

I've never kept a proper journal or diary, but I do like to take down notes in pretty journals. They are throw-away notes though, so then I just keep the pretty part of the journal when I'm done and use it for something else, and recycle the rest.

I take down all of my ideas on my Smartphone, mainly in Evernote, but also in the little Notes app if I need to take down something quick.

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com