Saturday, September 3, 2011

Work Desk vs. Work Desk

A few authors, I'm not sure of the numbers, make enough on their writing to work only at their career of choice.  But most writers are like me.  We work another job to help pay the mortgage and put food on the table.  For school teachers like me, summer is over and I'm back at work. 

While preparing for the start of classes a few weeks ago, I thought about the two different desks I maintain for my two jobs.  My school desk is of the old metal variety, probably nearly as old as I am.  The floor of my office is painted cement and is in the center of the girls' lockerroom so I have no windows to the outside world.  It's a very cold setting, especially when there are no students around.  The chattering teenagers do wam the place up a little.

My writing desk at home is in the front room where I get the morning sun.  The window overlooks the front porch and the surrounding flower beds.  The floor is carpeted, the walls lined with bookshelves and I even have a fireplace.  I have two cheap desks I put together to form an 'L' so I can spread out all my 'stuff.' The desktop computer is on one desk and I set my laptop on either.  Everything is right at hand. I love that work space.

At school, I have one wall covered in the senior photos my students have given me over 25 years of teaching.  I have two different pottery dishes made just for me by students in their pottery class and a few other keepsakes and gifts.  I can't count the coffee mugs given to me over the years.  If I could retire tomorrow, I wouldn't miss that old metal dinosaur-like desk but I would miss those kids.

If I hit the big time and can spend money on a new, bigger fancier desk where it all matches, I'm not sure I would give up those two mismatched, $99, desks I've spent so many hours at. 

Both my school desk and my writing desk have one thing in common.  Somewhere on both of them is a folded paper towel where I set my ice coffee.  Sometimes hot coffee or tea claim the spot of honor.  My favorite drinks help make my work areas comfortable and welcoming. 

What makes your workspace a place where things get done?  Would you change anything is you could? Is your environment conducive to getting a lot of work done?

16 comments:

Anne R. Allen said...

I wish I could say I have everything organized and compartmentalized between my creative writing, teaching, editing, and journalism, but I'm afraid I don't. I keep things in a pile according to priorities and just push my way through. Mainly I try to keep surfaces uncluttered, and when I'm done I file carefully.

L.J. Kentowski said...

My day job desk is much different from home. At work, I have my own office and I'm highly organized there. There's always a flurry of activity going on, so it's the only way I can keep some semblance of sanity. At home, for writing…it's my laptop, a couch that reclines, something to drink at my side, and my iPhone nearby :) The only thing really in common is a set of headphones shuffling my favorite tunes in my ears.

Su said...

I would probs be better off with a home office, but since I use a laptop I tend to drift from one spot to another. Even when I've tried to designate a working spot it hasn't stuck.

Will Burke said...

I'm afraid that our computer area is another clutter zone on the "to do" list. Very little surface to work with, but wherever I can set down my Netbook and a coffee and have some tunes, I'm good to go!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like my current work space. It's a large computer desk and the giant screen TV is right next to it. (I know, not good for the eyes.) I do have windows, but I never pull the blinds. Guess I like the dark.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It's interesting to read how everyone has a different set up. I wish I had a TV like Alex. I work best with background noise.

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Susan. Sadly, my desk at work is in better shape than my "spots" at home. My kids have the fourth bedroom as their gameroom, so there's no working in there. The family PC is in the great room, so there's no working there. Too noisy! If I'm just blogging and not worried about the t.v. distracting me, I might set the laptop on the bar; if I'm moderately concerned with distractions, then I'm headphoned up and on the Dining Roon table; if I'm really worried about distractions, then I'm standing up and using the bedroom dresser top as my workspace.
Not too mysterious for a horror author, is it? *laughs*

-Jimmy

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

James, standing at the dresser writing sounds a little horrifying to me. LOL. My legs couldn't take that after a day of work.

Luanne G. Smith said...

I used to work on a PC at a desk, but when I bought a laptop I found I prefer to curl up on the sofa to write. I do need to have everything in reach, though: Coffee, dictionary, thesaurus, notebook, phone, and dog. I sort of scatter them around me to make a little nest to work in.

I'm lucky to have a dedicated office/den that's mine. Doesn't stop the family from sticking their head in every five minutes to interrupt though. Gotta get a lock for that door. :P

Jemi Fraser said...

I don't have a desk at home, but my desk at school is in the corner of the classroom and piled high with stuff - or will be once we start on Tuesday :) And I always have my mug of tea too. Best thing about the desk for sure!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Yahoo for the coffee and tea to hand no matter where we write!

Jamie Gibbs said...

My desk always, always has an origami coaster where I park my porcelain tankard of hot brown lightning. It's more an excuse to do origami than anything else, but it's kind of cool. There's usually come kind of LEGO model on there as well for me to play with if I get stressed/bored. My desk at home is the dining table and so it's got everything under the sun on it. One day I'll get me a real desk ...

jan said...

My favorite work space is the island in my kitchen where it is bright and open and I can sit up high. From here I can look out over the meadow and across the valley so I feel in sync with the change of seasons and the weather. I hate to cook so I don't really miss the space.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like the sound of your space, Jan.

Cheryl Reif said...

I do both of my "jobs" at home, so my desk's job changes depending on the time of day. I have a little oak roll-top I got second hand, which I love, and a wall full of crammed bookshelves, which I also love. If I could change something? I'd probably get rid of the clutter that keeps creeping up on me :).

I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog and have given you an award over at *my* blog. Hope you enjoy!

Unknown said...

I'm also a teacher but my desk at school is BARE when I go home every day! This is because it's a boarding school and my classroom gets used for study every night, and I've found that things left on my desk tend to "wander" away overnight and not come back!