Friday, November 26, 2010

The Day After

I meant to post the day before Thanksgiving but preparations for the family get-together interfered. I have to admit yesterday came off quite perfectly.  The birds (yes, I roast multiples) were moist and perfectly tasty.  Everything was ready at the same time and set on the table in steaming serving dishes.  And best of all was the conversation.  The older children have obligations to the families of their significant others so they were in an out all day.  Between watching football we played card games, ate cold turkey sandwiches and finished off  the apple and pumpkin pies.
Today is the day after the big feast and one of my favorite days.  Shopping held no temptation for me but sleeping in did.  An unhurried hour browsing at the local library made for a fine afternoon though when I'll have time to read the three books I picked up...
Tomorrow I'm headed to Barnes and Noble with my birthday gift cards.  I hope to get there in time to snag one of the precious tables in the cafe.  There I'll work on my blogs for the next two weeks and sip expensive coffee.
I'm thankful for the day after Thanksgiving.  It's always a day off for me but I know many people had to work today. I caught up with all my friends who blogged yesterday or earlier today. I submitted a book to a publisher I trust to handle my romance novels and hope for a positive response to that. So though I had the day-job off, I worked on the job I wish was full time.  When I miss even one day online, I feel like I fall behind. Yet I don't usually get on my computer at all during the big holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and Easter.
How about you? Do you take a holiday from your writing during certain days or is it a 365 days per year job for you? 

9 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

It tends to be 365 days a year, but I'm trying to take a day off now and then. It's harder than I would have imagined.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I would have guessed you were a 365 person, Helen. I admire you for it.

Ava Quinn said...

Sounds like a perfect Black Friday to me, Sue! I'm not a shopper either. I'd rather have ping pong balls permanently glued to my bare eyeballs than endure a Black Friday crowd in a foaming shopping frenzy.

I wish I were a 365er like Helen, but I'm not even close to that yet. Maybe someday.

Glad you had such a great Thanksgiving. That alone is something to be thankful for!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like a good Thanksgiving Day to me! And I don't have designated writing or non-writing days. Just happens when it happens.

The Happy Whisk said...

Love my writing days. Love my days off. Both are wonderful and welcomed.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Ava, your preference to Black Friday shopping is hilarious. I'm not sure what you're working on right now but I hope it has your sense of humor.
Alex, you so faithful in your blogging I'm amazed you don't designate specific time. I wish I could do that.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Ivy, I'm betting you bake something wonderful to enjoy on your days off.

The Happy Whisk said...

Hi Susan. Yeppers. Love to play in the kitchen when I'm not writing. I also like to snuggle up with Tim and watch movies on the big screen.

Ah, the good life.

Ellie Garratt said...

Sounds like a perfect holiday day to me. I try to write every day but realistically, I know I won't achieve anything over the two weeks of Christmas. I used to make myself feel guilty but not anymore!