Sunday, May 16, 2010

Great Gobs of Writers


I promised a report on the Pennwriters Conference and here is a small piece of it. Throughout the next few weeks I'll be blogging about some of the helpful information I inhaled and about the various writers and other publishing professionals I spoke with, listened to and even pitched to.

Jennifer Jackson gave some great tips on queries and how to select an agent. Nate Hardy, Pennwriter extraordinaire, shared his hints for promotion and getting your name out there. Agent Jenny Bent spoke to us about contracts and I think I can quote her here, 'it so complicated.' Agent Alex Glass defined the differences between commercial and literary fiction. Editor David Pomerico talked about the fantasy and scifi market. I can't wait to speak about that one. Agent Janet Reid had us all laughing and gave us many reasons to use social media and make it work for us. Maria V. Snyder instructed us on 'show not tell.' She is teacher of the year in my opinion.

I have pages and pages of notes to share with you. I'm not even sure where to start but I'll figure it out.

On a more personal note, I met many writer friends I only knew from blogs or loops face to face for the first time. One of them, Jon Sprunk, will visit my blog in early June to promote the release of his first book, Shadow's Son. I can't wait to read it. I love his cover art.

As I've recommended in the past, Pennwriter's Conference is the best buy for the money anywhere in the USA. Join us next year.

Is there a particular author you would go to a conference just to meet and hear speak? This year we were blessed with the generous, entertaining presence of James Rollins. I'll have to do an entire blog on him as soon as I read his YA novel. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow! Sounds awesome! That's a lot of talented people you got to interact with.

I hope to go to a conference one of these days - and this sounds like a grand one to start saving for :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It was great, Jemi. I would love it if you could join us one of these years.

Ava Quinn said...

Can't wait to hear about it, Sue!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Wow, awesome lineup they had this year! Glad it was such a great weekend for you!